Abhishekam is performed to deities to absolve the devotee of his sins and take him closer to the divine. Ego, jealousy, and pride are surrendered at the feet of the divine and the atma is opened for spiritual advancement.
Abhishekams involving 24 dravyas are considered very auspicious and each of the dravyas have a spiritual significance. A list with the benefit derived from using those dravyas are given below.
Maha Ganapati Temple will be performing this auspicious abhishekam on Wednesday, September 16. We invite you to witness this abhishekam to Lord Maha Ganapati and derive the blessings of the Lord.
ChaturvimsathiDhravyas (Twenty FourItems)
1. Water - purity
2. Sugandha Oil (Sandal wood, Jasmine oil)- Spiritual advancement
3. Rice Flour – Begets the power to rule wisely
4. Amla Powder – Elevation to a higher spiritual plane
5. Turmeric Powder - Auspiciousness
6. Cardamom, Edible Camphor, Clove, Saffron and Nutmeg Mixed Powder -
7. Panchakavyam (Mixture of Milk, Yogurt, Ghee, Ghomayam and GhoJal) – enhances positive energy and restrains negative forces.
8. Panchamirtham – Long life and good health
9. Banana – Welfare of family
10. Orange Juice- Victory
11. Mango Juice – Destruction of long ailments
12. Pomegranate Juice – Fertility and prosperity
13. Milk – All around happiness
14. Yogurt – Good health
15. Honey – Physical vigor and vitality
16. Sugarcane Juice – Destruction of sorrow
17. Tender Coconut Juice - Prosperity of self and progeny
18. Kewda Flower Water – Spiritual elevation
19. Rose Water- Balances emotions
20. Chandan - Sandal Paste- Prosperity of one’s children
21. Vibhuti- Destruction of sins
22. Pancha Sankha abhishekam (Five Conches filled with Ganga Water) – Success and purity
23. Sahasra Dhara abhishekam – Abhishekam using a plate with a thousand holes.
24. Swarna abhishekam – Destruction of harmful effect of jealousy